A year ago today Margaret Thatcher, Britain’s first female Prime Minister, died. Known as the Iron Lady for her uncompromising policies – which have become known as Thatcherism – this controversial figure had a substantial impact on British politics.
To mark this event, we have compiled some articles from our subscriptions below. The articles provide an overview of Margaret Thatcher’s political career, covering her early political career (1959-1979) and time as Prime Minister (1979-1990); including highlights on domestic affairs, the miners’ strike, international affairs, and the fight over the Tory leadership.
• Mr Heath Steps Down as Leader After 11 vote Defeat by Mrs Thatcher
• Maggie, the ‘Iron Lady’
• Thatcher Woos Voters With Tax Cuts
• Immigrants Reach Peak of 117,000
• Heath’s Amazing Poll Tax Attack on Maggie
• Maggie on Track to Sell Railways
• Argentina Might Well Thank Mrs Thatcher
• The Battle for the Miners
• EC Integration seen as enemy
• Maggie’s Trek to End Apartheid
• Farewell to Our Iron Lady