The entire digitised BBC broadcast archive Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is available to access via Shibboleth (institutional) log-in. You will need to go to ‘sign in’, search for ‘University of Cambridge’ in the where are you from box, sign in with Raven and then follow the instructions to create an account.
Access is only available within the UK to everything apart from the BBC news reports.
From the Learning on Screen website:
The BBC archive is arguably global broadcasting’s most significant collection of TV and radio assets, and we are delighted to be able to offer such valuable and exciting content to our members. It includes millions of TV and radio programmes, including major cultural events as well as iconic dramas and landmark comedy programmes.
We have relished digging out gems from the archive in preparation for the ‘access all archives for education’ initiative, and we have already added over 2500 historic BBC broadcasts to BoB. This includes all episodes of Arena and Play for Today, as well as early episodes of Horizon, the BBC Television Shakespeare, Omnibus and more.
“The inclusion of historic BBC materials has replenished BoB with a new richness, and users will discover that actively searching the platform repays their efforts.”
Gil Toffell, our Academic Research Manager, has delved into the BoB archive in our latest edition of ViewFinder Magazine where he discusses the wealth of BBC material in BoB. You can read his article here.
Here is a small selection of our BBC content in BoB to get you started:
- PLAY FOR TODAY: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/282765
- BBC TELEVISION SHAKESPEARE: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/224050
- ARENA: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/211499
- HORIZON: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/214612
- BARRY NORMAN’S THE HOLLYWOOD GREATS: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/211498
- LOCAL HEROES: https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/playlists/258446
Also available to access via the Databases A-Z.